Thursday 10 July 2014

Portabello Cheese "Steak"

Being from dairy country I love a good cheesesteak sandwich. However, since I'm getting married in a little over a month (woo!) I'm trying to watch what I eat and watch my wallet. I cut the bread out of the traditional sandwich and substituted steak for low fat ground beef.



I started by pre-heating my oven to 375 degrees F. Then I heat a medium skillet with a a tablespoon of olive oil. I then diced an onion into small bits and sliced green and red peppers. Added them to the pan and sauteed until the onions became opaque in colour and the peppers softened a bit.


I removed the pepper-onion mix and set it to the side. I added ground beef to the pan and sauteed that completed with salt, pepper, garlic powder. Once cooked, I added chipotle flavored BBQ sauce. (Tip: steak sauce would work great here! I just used what I had in my fridge).

While the beef was cooking, I took portobello mushrooms removed the insides with a spoon and cut off the stems. During this time I also cut up some cheese (can't have a cheesesteak without cheese!). For this I used provolone and american cheese.


Once the beef was finished cooking, I began building my cheesesteak! I spooned ground beef in the mushroom cap, placed the onions and peppers on top, and then the cheese. I baked the whole thing until the mushroom softened and the cheese was melty and delicious.



                                          I paired the dish with homemade oven baked fries.




Recipe:
Serving size 2

Portobello Cheesesteak

2 Portobello Mushroom Caps
3/4 lb ground beef
1 white onion
1/2 green pepper
1/2 red pepper
1 slice American cheese
2 slices of Provolone
2 tbls of steak sauce
1 tbls of olive oil
Salt, pepper, and garlic powder

Homemade Oven-Baked Fries

2 well scrubbed Russet or Red potatoes
2 tbls of olive oil
Season salt, pepper, dried parsley, & garlic powder

                Cut potatoes in half lengthwise, then into "fry"-esque shape. Put into a bowl, add olive oil, toss with spices, and bake for 35-40 minutes in 375 degree oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment